[vdr] Re: Gigabit Ethernet

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 09:16:54PM +0200, Andreas Wohlfeld wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 09:11:03PM +0200, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 08:50:06PM +0200, Steffen Koch wrote:
> > > for the speed freaks:
> > >
> > > http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2054208992
> >
> > That thing is crap.
> >
> > For Point-to-Point Gigabit you don't need a switch. So there is no gain
> > using such a "baby"-toy.
> >
> Where do you read that this is only point-to-point?

When you reduce it to Gigabit <-> Gigabit. Then you can only get a
Point-To-Point Setup with this switch.

When i buy gigabit, all (relevant) machines would get gigabit. That
would be 3 machines in my case. (2x VDR, 1x "workstation")

> Seems to me that all 8 100mbit ports can feed the two GB ports and
> vice versa. That surly would be a gain?

I don't see the gain.

If you have a corporate Network where you have a "central" fileserver,
it makes sense to connect the server with a bigger link to the switch
than the clients.

But i don't see the point for VDR-Setups. Who has a server big enough to
supply such many clients so that a Gigabit-Uplink is needed to the
switch?

You must have a equally well storage sub-system in the computer to
supply many clients at the same time.

Who has >=4-5 Clients. Otherwise i don't see the point. Not buying crap
NICs buys more. (I use Intel Etherexpress NICs in all my computers and i
get maximum bandwith. (around 10.6 - 11 MByte/s))

Bis denn