[vdr] Re: .vdr under Windows

From: "Oliver Friedrich" <oliver@familie-friedrich.de>
> A good Rambus system would be faster than the same components with DDR.
The
> memory peeak performance of Rambus ist better...

Yes, thats right. AFAIK especially with a P4.

> But i don't think, that it would be produce much better results when
viewing
> MPEG files, because the acceleration should result of a good video
hardware.
> The gpu does normaly the zooming and some other parts of the mpeg
decoding,
> not the cpu of the system.

Scaling and positioning of the video window on the screen and handling of
partial covering with the mouse pointer or other windows will be done by the
gpu, thats right. But AFAIK, the conversion from MPEG2 frame sequence to
single uncompressed video frames (YUV or RGB) has to be done by the cpu.

There are hardware accelerator cards for this task too (for example the full
featured DVBs), but there are only few. Here I have the Matrox G550, and I
don't think that this one or one of the other "typical" graphics cards are
able to do MPEG2 decompression.

...and i have the feeling that this thread is going more and more
off-topic... ;-)

greetings,
Christian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index