[vdr] Can you help me in understanding what's wrong?

Hi all,
	As I told you I have a new Allwell STB to work on.
I installed my SuSE 7.3 and VDR.
The problem is that it is too slow. When recording the image has a
strange "rallenty" effect.
When playing back I cannot use OSD, if I do the image "crashes" like my
machine was too slow.
Now I'm trying to understand the causes.
I had a look to CPU load with PS -AUX in view mode:
I see 5 VDR threads about 3.0% CPU load each one (15% total).
When recording I find one more thread and every thread is about 4.5% CPU
load (27% total).
In both of the cases my "System Idle" percentual is about 35/40%.
So the CPU (now it is a Cyrix 233 overclocked to 300 Mhz) should not be
the problem... am I wrong?
Hdparm tells me my HDD has DMA enabled, but the bus is only 33
Mbytec/sec and hdparm -t /dev/had reports me an average speed of about
10.60 Mbytes/sec.
I tried to install an old Promise Ultra66 controller and hdparm reported
me 17 Mbytes/sec (my HDD is an IBM 7200 rpm UDMA 100 40 Gbyte).
My RAM is 64 MByte.
Note: the bus speed is 33 Mhz, tha max value supported by STB Mainboard.
I could not make a try with everything installed and running on the
Promise Controller because of some problems I'm still trying to solve,
but I think 10 Mbytes/sec should be enough to record channels sending
never more than 7 Mbit/sec (less than 1 Mbyte/sec).
So, the question, which could be the possible cause of this slowness?
Note that I installed SuSE with quite no options, in total about 350
Mbyte: no httpd, no samba, nothing.

Thx in advance

Luca

--
Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

Sponsor:
Paura delle Eurobanconote false? Clicca qui
Clicca qui: http://adv2.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=374&d=23-9

Home | Main Index | Thread Index