[vdr] Re: split up channels.conf

"Rienecker, Fa. Evenio, ITS P, M" wrote:

> >From my point of view we are going too much into detail with the discussion
> at the moment.
> My basic wish is to have a format, that enables us to publish a channel list
> that does not need to modified by anyone.
> Plus a channels.conf that refers to the static channel list in order to set
> up his/her local VDR.
>
> Of course, it's advisable to introduce an artificial (numeric) key to the
> static channel list (like a global program number) because keys that are
> constructed of meaningful information always posses the danger of future
> incompatabilities.
> Just look at the example of the german social security number system which
> barely survived when germany reunited.

The goal, IMO, is to make it possible to publish channel *RECORDS* that can be
used by anybody, not entire channels.conf files. Of course one can publish a
file with channel records and name it channels.conf, but that doesn't mean
that a user would have to simply replace his own channels.conf with the new
one. He should rather take those records that are of interest to him and add them
to his channels.conf.

Currently the one thing that makes this complicated is the DiSEqC field, because
that's installation dependent. Once that's changed (which I'm going to do after
having finished the input plugin interface) it should be possible to take a
channels.conf record from anywhere (provided it has been set up according to the
new definition of the "source" - formerly "diseqc" - field) and add it to one's
own channels.conf. The proposed "favourite" flag field should, of course, be zero
for a published channel record.

Klaus