[vdr] Re: Shutdown after recording

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Lauri Tischler (LT) wrote:

LT> Here's the link..
LT> http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/arpdf/DS1685-DS1687.pdf

well, thanks, that was the link I didn't find on that page...

first  of  all, there's a misleading notation, there are two things, which
have similar names and on some boards even the same registers are used for
the two things:

 1. RTC  alarm.  This  is a 24h-alarm, which can be tested with an example
    program  in  linux/Documentation/rtc.txt).  That's the one with the AF
    flag
 2. RTC wakeup. This one is usually a 31 days "alarm". (the second half of
    page 20 of the above data sheet). The WF flag should be read here.

Well, there are several points to keep in mind:

 - the  WF  flag  cannot be read with the current nvram driver (at least I
   don't know how it could be done) (it's called 'bank 1' in the sheet)
 - the  position  of  the WF flag depends _hardly_ on the hardware used on
   the motherboard.
   - this would mean mb-dependant config of that flag.
   - not all chips are so well documented as the DS-1685
 - not  all  people  use  nvram-wakeup  for  the wakeup feature, there are
   several  other  ways  to  go,  e.g.  wake-on-lan  or  even  own special
   hardware.

IMHO, reading those bits is not the way to go.

c ya
        Sergei
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de
                -- Mark Twain