[vdr] Re: DVD audio probs, was: new DVD plugin

Am/On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:49:20 +0200 schrieb(en)/wrote Andreas Schultz <aschultz+vdr@warp10.net>:

> Hi Eckard,
>
> Eckard Brauer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>  > Everything except audio works fine. When starting replay of a DVD,
>  > the audio turns to loud white noise. Ending the DVD player via menu
>  > leaves the noise there, the correct audio is restored at channel
>  > switch.
>
> Uhm, that's the first time i hear of such a problem with the plugin.
> With vdr-1.0.4 people with such effect normaly had AC3overDVB activated.
> But that would produce a digital high pitched noise and not a white
> noise. The fact that the noise remains after you stopped DVD playback
> indicates that the noise is in fact _not_ some kind of distorted audio.

I'd rather insist on that it's white noise, as if you switched your TV to an unused channel in analog terrestrial TV's days. :)

>  > Any pointer on how/where to start debugging?
>
> Not really, but some questions:
>
> Despite the noise, do you get a picture and is it ok or distorted?
> Does only the DVD plugin cause these problems, or does MP3, MPlayer
> and/or VCD show similar problems?

The picture is OK, all other works as expected.
I didn't try the MP3 plugin, and I won't have much time to try it out before next thursday, because of my work here. Maybe the evenings on weekend, if my family is merciful :) Will scan the requirements...

> Did you try any of the old plugin version and did they have the problem?
> Did you try vdr-1.0.x with DVD and did it work then?
> Which version of the DVB driver and what kernel do you use?

Didn't try any other plugin nor any "stable" (means 1.0.x-) version before.
Driver is the siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-06-23.patch.tar.bz2 package from ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr/Developer/. Kernel is 2.4.18 AFAIK, for laziness I used a Suse 8.0...

Eckard