[vdr] Re: Why Hauppauge say PIII 500 Mhz requiered with Nexus and nova cards ???

Hi there,
> Each time I see one of this card, as minimal requiered setup,
> I see "Pentium III 500 Mhz".... Why ? Is theses cards really
> needs such power to work fine ?
I have a PIII 500 (slightly overclocked, but I think that doesn't matter
here) and VDR runs fine (record, playback).

> what's the diffrence between the nova and the Nexus ?
I'm not 100% sure, but the Nova is a budget card, that means, no MPEG
Decoder, so you can't build a complete system. You may use it to enhance
a Nexus for example to view another channel on another transponder while
recording.

> If I get one of this card with a PII 400 Mhz under Linux +
> VDR, will I be able to record without problem ? Will I be
> able to watch divx smoothly ?
That depends :)

I am able to watch DivX on the PIII 550, but only correct encoded, wich
in my case means correct resolution. If the CPU needs to scale the
images, for example if I cut the black border from 16:9 movies, playback
isn't possible in realtime.
So you are fine if you only watch "homegrown" divx, but you may get into
trouble if you try to play external divx in "wrong" resolutions.

Hope this helps, Christof