[vdr] Re: "Embedding" VDR

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Mixich" <sp.amix@gmx.net>
To: "vdr" <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 1:16 AM
Subject: [vdr] Re: "Embedding" VDR

> Rene Bartsch wrote in a Mail about "[vdr] Re: "Embedding" VDR":
>
> > No, a VDR-plugin. You need it to catch the streams from VDR ...
>
> I thought, VideoLAN already does this...

As far I know VideoLAN grabs from the V4L-interface.

That means you need a full-featured DVB-S/C (260,- / 330,- EURO) and can't
use low-budgets (99,- EURO).
You can only stream the ONE channel the DVB is tuned to.
How do you want to get the the complete picture over a network (40 MByte/s)?
You'll have to compress, which means a huge CPU ...

If you create a plugin to VDR, you could directly send as many
streams/programs your machine can handle as feed to FFSERVER which takes
them OnAir.
(My goal is to have 4 low-budgets in a server which would make me possible
to send *ALL* TV/Radio-programs of 4 transponders over the network at the
same time!!!) You just go to FFSERVER's webpage on your server, click a link
and you get the MPEG-stream to your client.

> > I also had the idea some time ago to display the video in a background
> > layer
> > of the browser and the menu as HTML-links in an upper layer.
>
> Yes, somehow like this.
>
> I do not want the typical HTML display. I want HTML as base, since it is
> quite useful. But the main parts would be Flash based. However, I am only

Please, don't use the bad word! Flash means security-holes and compatibility
problems with browsers!
I've learned to keep to generic solutions straightly!

Rene