[vdr] Re: "Embedding" VDR

From:> "Andreas Mixich" <sp.amix@gmx.net>
To:> "vdr" <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent:> Wednesday, October 16, 2002 1:16 AM
> Subject: [vdr] Re: "Embedding" VDR

>> Rene Bartsch wrote in a Mail about "[vdr] Re: "Embedding" VDR":
>>
> >> No, a VDR-plugin. You need it to catch the streams from VDR ...
>>
>> I thought, VideoLAN already does this...

> As far I know VideoLAN grabs from the V4L-interface.

> That means you need a full-featured DVB-S/C (260,- / 330,-  EURO)  and

I have a full-featured one. But this would remain in the 'MediaServer', the  one
machine,  that  holds  all  data and feeds the clients which do not have any DVB
card.

> You can only stream the ONE channel the DVB is tuned to.

Hmmm...yes, one TV program I thought, but still any  other  data  to  any  other
clients, like MP3 or DivX.

> How do you want to get the the complete picture over a network (40
> MByte/s)?
> You'll have to compress, which means a huge CPU ...

Huh ? 40MByte/s ? What are you talking about ? That would  mean  2.4  GB/minute,
and 144GB/hour. The streams come seldomly in better quality than 4MBit/s. Or did
I misunderstand something completly ? A 100MBit Ethernet should  be  cabable  of
transferring  apporx. 70-80MB/s as far as I am informed. That would easily allow
to play a MP3 in the kitchen, a DivX on the stationary server and transmit a DVB
boradcast to the bedroom.

I assume you mean, that the V4L grab is 40MByte/s ?

> If you create a plugin to VDR, you could directly send as many
> streams/programs your machine can handle as feed to FFSERVER which takes
> them OnAir.
> (My goal is to have 4 low-budgets in a server which would make me
> possible
> to send *ALL* TV/Radio-programs of 4 transponders over the network at
> the
> same time!!!) You just go to FFSERVER's webpage on your server, click a
> link
> and you get the MPEG-stream to your client.

Cool !

> Please, don't use the bad word! Flash means security-holes and
> compatibility
> problems with browsers!
> I've learned to keep to generic solutions straightly!

Well, I really don't care. This is not an  Internet  application,  it  will  all
happen  within a hardware-DMZ-LAN, no exterior access. And for others, who would
like to use the application: Nobody will xfer a DVB  stream  over  his  Internet
connection,  I assume. And in order to program the VDR SSH should be good enough
or a web-interface, which all  needs  absolutly  no  Flash.

The Flash results usually are very good  and  flexible,  very  pretty  and  have
strong  support for developers. It looks good. Period. And as for compatibility:
I wanted to base anything on Mozilla anyway, which would be hardcoded. Not going
to run a multimedia box with Lynx ;-)

--
Good bye, Andreas
Mandrake Linux 8.2,  Athlon1.2GHz, MSI K7T266Pro, 512MB DDR-RAM, MSI StarForce64Pro (GeForce2PRO), Hercules GameTheater XP, D-Link530DX, Hauppauge WinTV-s rev2.1,IWill SIDE2930C