[vdr] Re: Proposal: cutting out advertising automatically

> To say it a bit more clear. The processing-power & time(!) you need for
> automaticaly "analyzing" the data is much higher then the time your
> brain needs to accomplish this task. When computesr get to the pint
> where they reach graphical-processing-power of a human brain (+K.I.)
> you
> can think about such program again, but before i don't think it can be
> accomplised in a "fail safe"-maner. (And anything other than "fail
> safe"
> would not be acceptable for myself. OK, other people accept 90-95%
> solutions, but for this task i would want a 100% solution.)

You are right, but theoretically a 99.999% solution would be enough.
There are about 200.000 frames in a movie - you would'nt even notice
if there were a few missing at random.
Still think fingerprinting is the key, as it can be done in DC-space
and the data are already available - how much CPU is then required for a
recording? Maybe the expert here can provide some "real" data for it...
Of course you could still choose between just marking (failsafe) operation
and realtime-cut-out operation.

The bigger danger in all that discussion here is, that we might force the
broadcasters to directly overlay the ads on the movie in such a way (randomly)
that we can't filter it anymore someday. Some already do in other countries,
IMHO.