[vdr] Re: DXR3 reliable?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rev Simon Rumble" <simon@rumble.net>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 2:10 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: DXR3 reliable?

> On Thu 24 Oct, Stefan.Schluenss@gmx.de bloviated thus:
>
> > Good work, but it describes the problems and hints using xine/mplayer
> > together with the dxr3.
> > The vdr-plugin uses it's own decoding sheme and was not bundled with
mplayer

> That's right.
>
> > or xine. So we have to dig deep into the mpeg specification to get a
good
> > a/v sync.
> > But we look forward to get a running version soon (maybe with some
replay
> > problems which will be fixed afterwards)
>
> I don't think you can reliably solve this problem for everyone.  There
> are just too many variables, although with VDR you can reliably
> control some of them (file format, for example).  If people want to
> use a soundcard output instead of the built-in soundcard of the dxr3
> (as I do), you end up with an unknown amount of delay.

I know this will upset the DXR3-programmers as they don't like MPlayer, but
I think building a "-slave"-based MPlayer-plugin would be the best solution,
as MPlayer handles all the A/V-codec-/playback-/sync-problems and we'd only
need to define a static A/V-delay depending on the hardware. We could also
use any hardware supported by MPlayer! The plugin would start an
MPlayer-instance with "-slave" and feed the A/V-stream by stdin. For
controlling MPlayer (Volume, A/V-codec/-format, deinterlacers,
output-devices, ...) we can implement a "int Command ( String
Command )"-function into the plugin, which embedds a "\nCommand\n" into the
A/V-stream.

The problem would be the OSD, as there are no interfaces to feed an external
OSD into MPlayer.

So there are two solutions:

1.) Using the DXR3-code to generate subtitles from OSD (will need CPU-load)

2.) Create a Patch to MPlayer with an interface which overlays any bitmap
sent to this interface to the video and zoomes the bitmap to the video-size.
That patch should make into into main CVS of MPlayer.

This solution would be a great A/V-backend to VDR, as we could easily create
other plugins, like picture-viewer, etc.

If I could handle C/C++ I would have done it long before ...

Rene