[vdr] Re: vdr2divx suggestions ? (poll)

At Wednesday 30 October 2002 23:32 Martin Hoffmann wrote:
> they cast mpeg2 and mpeg2 (i guess all mpeg formats - even mpeg4) contain
> an aspect ratio field - so they cast 480x576 with an aspect ratio of 4:3 -
> telling the output device (DVBs card or stand alone receiver) - to scale
> the picture to 4:3 - in square pixels (like AVI does it) this would be
> 784x576 ! No black border magic - just stretching the image ! Beside that
> is how 16:9 casts work - they have the full resolution if you have an 16:9
> TV !
>
> However, as said above, AVI cannot store aspect ratio info - AVI always
> have sqare pixels by default - thats why you have to scale to be avi
> compliant - however if you intend to view your avi on TV keeping the
> 480x576 and rescaling this at viewing time is okay !
> Did anyone understand this ?

Yes, certainly ;) I'm still looking for a clean way to automatically scale
all kinds of movies (for mplayer.sh - mplayer plugin) to the right picture
size.
do you know -vop lavc,expand=784:576:0:50,scale=768:480,dvbscale for a
clean display of 16:9 divx? ;) (as with current mplayer cvs). Wonder
if there's a clean way to automate this (file type, aspect, and borders
at once) - still don't have an accurately working mplayer.sh for all types

Greetings,
Sascha Volkenandt