[vdr] Re: "stand-by-recording"

> > Just for clarity: what I'm going to implement is an "instant pause"
feature.
> > I have no plans on always buffering the live signal.
>
> But I think, it's a very nice and handy feature, too. And most
HD-Settopboxes
> have it.
>
> Now that the driver allows for both recording and watching a different
stream
> there is no technical reason, not to do it (perhaps configurable) and the
> implementation effort could be reduced, if you take the normal recording
> function an simply delete the file before the last file when starting the
next.
> I think, given the hard disk capacities now in use, such a feature would
> be worth two or four GB.
>
> I  had made use of it several times. Of course, it's not so difficult, to
> simply do an instant pause, but you will discover, that you forgot it, as
> soon as you really want to replay something.

why would someone want to spend 1-x gb of hd space for such a feature.....
why not cache in RAM. that won.t stress the hd and imho gives enough seconds
for "instant playback" and "pause". hd caching should start when the "pause"
button is pressed, and then the cached RAM is written to hd, followed by the
live stream....

regards hannes!

Johannes Schoeller
<schoeller@gmx.at>