[vdr] Re: "stand-by-recording"

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:26:21 +0100, "Johannes Schoeller"
<schoeller@gmx.at> wrote:

> why would someone want to spend 1-x gb of hd space for such a feature.....
> why not cache in RAM. that won.t stress the hd and imho gives enough seconds
> for "instant playback" and "pause". hd caching should start when the "pause"
> button is pressed, and then the cached RAM is written to hd, followed by the
> live stream....

Disk space is cheap, RAM is expensive. I assume most VDR boxes have 256
MB and less main memory and you need 500 KB per second to hold the data.
Why should I spend 100 EUR extra for more main memory when the disk
space is for free. And even if you use a disk file to store the data the
ram is used for caching. The extra bandwidth necessary can be ignored.

Emil