[vdr] Composite / S-VHS input ?

This occured to me the other day, and to me it seems quite logical - I'm
interested in opinions :)

VDR was designed to support DVB broadcasts only, and many people have build
Personal Video Recorder units around it. Many plugins have been developed to
extend the usefulness of the project to playing MP3/DVD/VCD, etc.

However, how feasible would a plugin for video4linux cards be? This would
allow people to record whatever happened to be coming into the
composite/S-VHS input of their analogue capture card, in the same way as
tuning a TV to 'The Satellite Channel' does for most homes at present.

It would also permit easy transfer of existing VHS  / camcorder recordings to
MPEG and perhaps subsequently to CD or DVD-ROM. Perhaps even Firewire could
be incorporated here?!

Would there be much work in piping the MPEG program stream output from a
package like mp1e or ffmpeg into VDR's own 'Recordings' menu?

I'd imagine a basic implementation to be produced via two items on the
'Commands' menu - 'Start external' and 'Stop external'

I can't see any problems with converting the PS into a PES ".vdr" file using
standard dvb-tools nor generating a placeholder for the summary.vdr, but how
about the index.vdr which appears to be a binary file of indeterminate format
(I'm not a C programmer, sorry! :)

Like I say, I'm open to ideas, but I'm only a Perl hacker as far as coding
goes...

Cheers,
Gavin.