[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: vdr-stream-0.1.0

On Dienstag, 19. November 2002 23:05 Rene Bartsch wrote:
> > I think the on-board network card of my vdr (or it's proprietary driver)
> > cannot do multicast, and since I need the only PCI-Slot for the DVB, I
> > can't exchange the network card.
>
> This can't be a lack of the onboard-NIC. Either you have a bad driver (try
> to get a open one) or multicast hasn't been enabled in the kernel (check
> that, especially if you have a custom kernel). I use RedHat 7.3/8.0 on my
> machines which have enabled multicast by default.
>
> You should also do a "ifconfig". In the line of the activated services
> there has to be "MULTICAST" when it is enabled.
>
> What chipset does your onboard-NIC use?

I guess it's the driver. The drvier in kernel 2.4.19 is called VIA-RHINE, the
chip is called VIA VT6103PHY. I've already tried everything. MULTICAST
is shown with ifconfig, and it is enabled in the kernel (I build all my
kernels myself ;) ). And there is no (more advanced) open source driver that
I know of. VIA's Linux-drivers are proprietary and not available for 2.4.19.

I know that this thing should be multicast-capable, but it isn't, because a
ping of address 224.0.0.1 should yield a response from ALL multicast-
capable hosts, but only my desktop pc responds (no matter which way I try).
(See Multicast-HOWTO for more info about the common broadcast-
addresses).

Guess I'll go on trying to find an updated driver on VIA's site, or waiting
for a new kernel release supporting that chipset natively.

Greetings,
Sascha Volkenandt