[vdr] Re: vdr, dxr3, nova-t, no video out, etc.

Hello,

On 02.12.02, you wrote:

[NOVA Card + Dxr3]

>> ...if you install the Dxr3 output plugin, a Dxr3 card will do it.
> Can't you simply go without all this by just a Nova and a software
> decoder? I don't know if I'm getting something wrong here, but I only
> watch with Tuxview on my monitor, so strictly speaking I wouldn't need a
> full featured card, would I?

You need a full featured card for tuxview. Tuxview reads from the v4l
interface and only displays what has already been decoded in hardware.

You need a software mpeg decoder like mplayer or xine, plus you cannot
comfortably tune unless you build a gui front end for the command line tools
for channel switching.

> Hmm, I have the feeling this whole topic is something for the FAQ-Section
> for Udo's VDRNews.de ;-)

Definitely is :)

[FAQ entry suggestion]
> Correct like this?

No, it isn't due to the reasons outlined above

Regards,
Eike
--
Eike M. Lang