[vdr] Re: performance: vdr and server

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matejek Bernd" <bernd.matejek@siemens.com>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 8:43 AM
Subject: [vdr] performance: vdr and server

> what is the average performance requirement for vdr on a running server?
Is it feasible or do I need a separate vdr-server. As my server is running
and consuming power all the day I do not want to buy and run an additional
PC for vdr.

If you use full-featured cards, a P1 133 would be enough for vdr only (even
timeshifting or DVD-playback with one card works on a P1 166 MMX CPU).

I'm running 3 low-budgets in a Celeron1100 with DNS, NFS, Mail and
Gigabit-Ethernet - no problem.

But you should use different disks on separate controllers for VDR and
file-serving, as recording is a realtime thing, especially if you do
multiple recordings. This won't be a problem is you have sporadic disk
access, but with high FTP/NFS-load one disk eventually can't guarantee
access-time.