[vdr] Re: How to connect the SPDIF of the DVB-s rev 1.3 to a standard SPDIF?

Hi Gregoire,

> I don't care of the volume/mute function of VDR,
>so the optical solution would just be the best one

Yes, I think so.

> I am not aware of saving 10 Euro or so, but
> unfortunately, I didn't found out what a TOTX

Try www.reichelt.de and search for TOTX. They are
about 3 Euro per piece (s&h is more expensiv ;o)
Don't go for conrad (too expensive unless there is
one right next door to you) You can also find the
necessary glassfiber cables at reichelt.

>could cost and what special hardware I need to
> make the whole things together?

I am using a TOTX 174, which is slightly better
than the now available TOTX 179 (174 are
discontinued units)

You don't need special skills other than to know
which end of the soldering iron is hot ;o))

> Is there somewhere I could found a beginner guide
>to make such "super connector"

Here's my try ;o))

Have a look at your DVB PCB. Pin 1 on the connecter
J2 has a small triangle to mark it as such.

> * * 2 #
   * * 4 #
   * * 6
   * * 8
   * * 10 #

Sorry, but its ASCII "art". ;o))

You need the following (all marked with # above) pins
Pin 2 is Vcc (+)
Pin 4 is SPDIF out
Pin 10 is Gnd

If you take the TOTX 179 and turn it upside down
and frontside up (i.e. look at the pins from the
bottom and have the optical plug facing away from
you) you will see

* * *
3 2 1

Pin 1 is gnd
Pin 2 is Vcc (+)
Pin 3 is input

Now just connect the signals. Thats all (okay you'll
need to do a bit of mechanical work and cover your
solder joints with heat shrink tubing, etc). Reichelt
sells "Pfostenverbinder" which you can use (10 pin)
to make a removeable connection to the DVB.

All in all you are looking at about 15 Euro (excluding
s&h, but including a fiber cable 0.9m long)

Greetz,
Reinhard

---