[vdr] Re: Time jumps

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Klaus Schmidinger (KS) wrote:

KS> Sergei Haller wrote:
KS> >
KS> > Since the final 1.2.0 is nearly finished, I'd like to point you onto
KS> > the patch I sent on 17 Oct 2002:

KS> I  tried  this,  but  it seems like the time doesn't get adjusted. The
KS> delta  always  remains the same. Is there something else I need to set
KS> up in order for this to happen?

Nothing  I  would  know of. Well, the background is the following: at that
time  I  asked ntpd people if ntpd is able to read time protocol and while
waiting  for  their  answer  I  read the documentation of the glibc-2.2.3,
which can be found at
   http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/Manuals/glibc-2.2.3/pdf/libc.pdf
the section about the function settimeofday (page 559) I stumbled over the
following:

  settimeofday causes a sudden jump forwards or backwards, which can cause
  a variety of problems in  a system. Use adjtime (below) to make a smooth
  transition  from  one  time  to  another  by  temporarily speeding up or
  slowing down the clock.

further  on  page  560,  function  adjtime  is  described,  so I took this
description  and  wrote  that  small patch. Sorry I didnt test it. I think
I'll  write  a  small  stand-alone C-program and see what happens, then we
could take the code over to vdr.

c ya
        Sergei
--