[vdr] Re: tech patch for vdr 1.1.24

* Reinhard Walter Buchner <rw.buchner@freenet.de> [030212 15:03]:
> For most of my mods plugins just aren't possible, because
> I cannot reach the needed "inards" of VDR from the
> plugin interface (fonts, color, tech ;o)), etc). With the tech
> patch for example, how would you reach the needed DVB
> calls when they aren't even implemented? So plugins: no
> sorry, it just isn't possible.

Maybe it could be interesting to split those patches up into
2 parts, one is a patch for vdr, to provide the needed information
and the other is a plugin that sits on top of the provided information

For the tech patch this is probably not really useful, as the
information is not used anywhere except for the meter that the
tech patch provides. (even though one could write a plugin allowing
to adjust your sat dish using sound instead of the meter so you
don't have to see the TV)

For other components it's more useful. For example addon fonts
should really go into plugins, so that plugins like vdrmail don't
need a patch against vdr to work, when they bring their own fonts.

> Patch: Hohum. It would be quite a bit of work to seperate
> all mods (it's more than just 5 or 6. The newest modreadme
> is quite a few pages long and it only list what I have done,
> no real "instructions" there) each into a seperate patch and
> I can already hear some people saying, well why do I have
> to apply 150 patches? Couldn't we make an AIO?

150? Wow. I could not even think of so many things to improve vdr :-)
When's your next release?

  Stefan

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offense.                      -- E. W. Dijkstra