[vdr] AW: Re: AC3 (AC3overDVB / bitstreamout) Sound-dropouts - anyone got it stable ?

Hallo Werner, Hallo List,

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:54:43AM +0100, Christian Jacobsen wrote:
> >> Hallo List,
> >>
> >> I am trying to get a "stable" AC3 output with either Ac3overDVB or
> >> Bitstreamout and VDR 1.1.25 + DVB 1.0.0-pre2 or 1.1.20 with DVB driver
> >from
> >> 01.11.2002/1.0.0-pre2.
>
> Ohmm ... I run VDR 1.1.25, an old NEWSTRUCT DVB (only Free To Air), and
> my bitstreamout plugin.
>

> >> Has anybody got AC3 working stable ?
>
> All what I've is rock stable, Live from Pro7, records from Pro7, and
> the various examples I've got from others.

What Driver Date do you use ?

I have tried all kinds of old drivers (only freetv + replay recordings) :
08.01.2003 (from klaus website - also tried with new Firmware from pre2)
02.02.2003 (from klaus website - also tried with new Firmware from pre2)
.... (Several others - from previous VDR versions)
1.0.0pre2
CVS 16.03.2003

there really is not that much change between the drivers - nothing
noticable.
So I don't think that the Driver is the issue.

What I have noticed :
The teletext plugin causes such Sound-dropouts. And things that VDR does in
the background interrupts the AC3 output too.

You can test this : if you Delete a recording (it is only renamed in
*.del) - then switch to Pro7 - after som time there is a small
sound-dropout - if you then look at syslog you see that VDR has "really"
deleted the recording and that caused the sound-dropout.

I have a 2 DVB-Card system so maybee the EPG Scan in the background does
interrupt Sound too. I will have to test that to confirm.
Maybee if I disable the second card (Nova-s) it works (thats why I asked how
to do it in another mail)

> >> Btw. with 1.0.4+AIO and ac3play everything works fine :)
>
> ... curious, maybe the DVB driver used with VDR 1.1.25 has a
> problem.  It looks like longer timeouts or something similar
> which takes CPU or I/O time.

Something is probably taking time and causing interrupts - the question is
what it is !?
The more i try - the more I belive it must be something that VDR or the
driver does.
Maybee you are right about the change(s) needed in VDR we have mailed about
in PM + sent to klaus.

Can I somehow do a trace and the maybee see what is going on when the
interrupt comes - is strace usable for this ?

> >> Here my Configuration :
> >> Suse 8.0 pro
> >> ALSA 0.90rc6 (with bitstream patch)
> >> VDR 1.1.25 with DVB 1.0.0-pre2
> >> VDR 1.1.20 with DVB 01.11.02
> >> Bitstreamout-0.42 - 0.44
> >> AC3overDVB 0.1.3 (only tested with 1.1.25)

Grretings
Christian