[vdr] AW: AC3 (AC3overDVB / bitstreamout) Sound-dropouts - anyone got it stable ?

Hallo again,

At least some of my problems was solved :) (see below)

Maybee someone has got an idea what I could try next ?

I am thinking about trying a new kernel - which one can you recomend for
SuSE 8.0 ?
www.kernel.org or ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/people/mantel/next/RPM or

What should I consider when doing that ?

> I am trying to get a "stable" AC3 output with either Ac3overDVB or
> Bitstreamout
>
> At the moment I keep getting sound dropouts when watching Pro7 and more or
> less - depends on the Recording - while replaying recordings. It does not
> matter if I use AC3overDVB or bitstream.

OK, I have got a stable output from AC3overDVB now :)
I had to set the PCI_LATENCY to 80 (hex), thanks a lot Werner :)

Here is how t odo that. With
     lspci -v -n | less -S

search for the Device ID of the DVB card. Then

     setpci -d <number>:<number> LATENCY_TIMER=80

in my case - I have got 2 cards :
     setpci -d 00:00 LATENCY_TIMER=80
     setpci -d 00:01 LATENCY_TIMER=80

I still have problems that the sound does not come back when switching
channel from DD to none DD. And once I had no sound at all after playing a
AC3 recording !? (have to test a bit more to see if I can reproduce that)

Anyone seen that before ?

> When using bitstreamout I sometimes see a CRC error and sometimes nothing
> in
> the syslog (/var/log/messages). Sometimes after a sound-dropout the
> Audio/Video is out of Sync (with pre2 that could be caused from the bug
> mentined here today - I will have to test that again tonight).

I have managed to get a bit more stable here to. At least I have no A/V out
of sync anymore.
When using bitstreamout I have to set the following :
VariableIO no
MMap no
Delay 12

Soundcard (CMI8738) PCI_LATENCY set to 10 (hex) or 8 !

Still not perfect as I still have dropouts - but at least no A/V out of sync
:)

> Here my Configuration :
> Suse 8.0 pro
> ALSA 0.90rc6 (with bitstream patch)
> VDR 1.1.25 with DVB 1.0.0-pre2

Also tried VDR 1.1.25 with DVB 16.03.03 from www.linuxdvb.tv
Did not help either.

> VDR 1.1.20 with DVB 01.11.02
> Bitstreamout-0.42 - 0.44
> AC3overDVB 0.1.3 (only tested with 1.1.25)

Greetings
Christian