[vdr] Re: Power consumption of Hauppauge cards

Okay, as promised, here the test result of my setup.

The system is based on:

- VIA epia M9000 mini iTX mainboard with VIA C3 at 933 Mhz installed
- 120GB harddisk from Maxtor ata133
- DVD-ROM drive from LG
- Hauppauge DVB-S card Revision 1.3.
- LNB from samsung 0.6dB noise.
- 1.2M dish from channelmaster.
- Dish polarmount has it's own PSU so has nothing to do with this test.

Power dissipation:

1) System off, so ATC PSU is stand by  : 3W
2) System started, without Hauppauge card : 35W
3) System started, hauppauge installed and tuned on any sat station :
47W

Peak value during channel start : 50W (only for a short time)

Note : harddisk activity has no big influence in the total power
dissipation except
when the head has to move like crazy when for example the volume is
heavy fragmented.

The DVD is not tested siply cause I still have to install DVD support
(to play a DVD)
but the construction of the chassis has a higher priority.
I just installed linux to see if the epia board had no problem to run
VDR but this is
no problem since VDR controls the sat card.

So, you should have an idea now on how much the Hauppauge needs.
ps. Your system may vary a littlebit cause things like LNB quality end
coax cable quality
and connections do have an impact on the total power consumption.

Stefaan

I've removed the hauppauge card