[vdr] Re: AW: ds.jar

;-)

OK - I take the bait ...

> afair "Wiljo Heinen"<wiljo@offeryn.de> is planing a Linux release of his
great PVAStrumento tool !!! I read
> something like this in his Forum ...

Yeah - but that was "way back when".....

> Wiljo coud you tell us how far are you with the porting of PVAStrumento ?!
> 'm sure this would be the No 1 choice as demux/mux/repair tool for VDR ...

currently there is no work done on porting PVAS (mind you - currently there
is no work done at all at PVAS - but I will start on this and another new
project again next week ...)

But seriously:

Well - I don't know about a Linux port, or whether such a port is really
necessary. As I see it, most people seem to use either tosvcd or vdr2dvd
under Linux. It should be easy (and in fact the best place) to integrate
demux/repair into one of these tools. The reason for PVAS (on Windoze) was
(and still is) that there was (is) no way to get decent authoring tools
there. So PVAS had to be created :-/

It is my strong opinion, that editing/authoring tools should take care of
A/V sync and that you should not need a seperate demux-program (yeah - I
know that goes a little against UNIX philosophy...) . Alas there are
timestamps in the recordings, so pls. use them.

Sooooo ------ although I am a VDR-only user currently I have no plans to
port PVAS to Linux, as I do not believe that it makes sense (because of the
amount of work involved - as PVAS is much-too-heavily Windoze-based as I
shamefully admit). A better way would be to incorporate demuxing/syncing
into tosvcd/vdr2dvd. I happily will assist their authors with trips and
ticks should they ask.

Now back to your regular scheduled programme.

rgds

    Wiljo