[vdr] Re: LAN cable length / Streaming Plug-In

Emil Naepflein wrote:
100 Mbit Ethernet (100Base-Tx) is specified to work on a cable length up
to 100 meters on unshielded twisted pair cable (UTP CAT5 Cable).
But what most forget, this 100 m are splitted up in 90 m of fixed
installation cable between patch panel and wall socket, and 10 m of the
flexible cable for connection to the switch and the device. If you use
normal patch panel type cable with a length longer than 10 m you can
expect problems. I assume the OP has only the flexible cable type. And
if you crimp the connectors yourself you can make a lot of errors.
I myself used 50m flexible patch cable without any problems. Problems may occur if you crimp them yourself...

The other important point is the connection between both cables. This
only works if a CAT5 wall socket is used. Connecting two long cables
just with a adapter will cause problems.
worked here too, but there is no guarantee for that ;-))