[vdr] Re: marks.vdr (@Klaus)

Wiljo Heinen wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Please correct me, if I'm wrong - I seem to have a problem in interpreting
> the contents of marks.vdr:
>
> The way I understand the code, the timecode contained in marks.vdr is
> nothing else then a counter of all frames in the recording from the
> beginning to the resp. mark. I.e. a line of "0:17:18.14" just means that
> this mark refers to the 25964th frame _in_the_file_.
>
> Therefore the editing-marks in marks.vdr are losely correlated to the PTS
> but can not easily be converted into PTS. [Because when there are missing
> frames the marks entry will differ from the actual PTS of a frame by the
> amount of missing frames.]
>
> My reason for asking for clarification: I was just trying to implement an
> automagic processing of marks.vdr in PVAStrumento (to spare an
> editing/cutting step), but ran into difficulties because of this (well -- it
> took me some time to figure out that these weren't actual timestamps as I
> originally thought).

For VDR's purposes of positioning to a given offset (when resuming a replay)
or doing fast forward/rewind, having an index that contains the file offsets
of all frames is the only thing that makes sense (IMHO). VDR doesn't  use the
PTS in any way to display, e.g., the replay progress bar, since for the user
only the total amount of material is what defines the actual length of a
recording.

> Any intention to change this behaviour - or do I have to count frames (or
> look into index.vdr)?

I'm afraid you'll have to look into index.vdr or whatever else it takes if
you need to handle PTS.

Klaus