[vdr] Re: Problem with vdr and hdd full

Matthias Fechner wrote:

> Hello Klaus,
>
> * Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> [12-04-03 17:34]:
> > I suggest you start VDR from the command line, then you should get the core file
> > in your current directory. Make sure, though, that you have set
> >
> >   ulimit -c unlimited
> >
> > to allow for the creation of a core file.
>
> Ok, i have done this and started vdr from commandline.
> Vdr log the same errormessages to syslog and will crash, but it
> doesn't seems, that vdr crashes, because no core file is avaiable.
> And on the console no message like programm core dumped will appear.
>
> It seems, that vdr exit and not crash.
>
> > You could also insert debug outputs into the code to see how far it gets.
> > Things like
> >
> >   fprintf(stderr, "%s %d\n", __FILE__, __LINE__);
> > are often helpful.
>
> Yes, here you are right, but the problem is, c++ is not my language
> and i don't know the sourcecode, so it is really hard to insert this
> line in the right line and file.

Do you have _any_ programming experience (maybe with C)?
It doesn't take too much to use an editor and insert the above line,
recompile and do a test run. Don't let yourself be irritated by the C++
stuff. It's not that far away from C ;-)

Start with the functions RemoveDeletedRecordings() and AssertFreeDiskSpace()
(both in VDR/recording.c) and check whether they really do return.

Then continue to cRecordControl::Process() and so on. Do this until you
insert the line at a point where the program should pass through, but crashes
before it can do so. It may be a tedious task to track down the place where
the actual problem occurs, but that's what debugging is about ;-)

Klaus