[vdr] Re: DVB over emu10k1 !?

On Saturday 10 May 2003 11:57, Onno wrote:
> Armin Janssen schrieb:
> > On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:51:13 +0200
> > Dieter Bloms <dieter@bloms.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Dieter!
> >
> >>Hi Armin,

> unfortunately our heros (the developers) all seem to have
> DD Hardware (recievers) so nobody realy cares about soft-decoding
> AC3 to 5.1 analog output (allthough CMI87xx as well as SB5.1

well, i don't have DD hardware and i do care about soft-decoding, the only
thing i don't have is time to start yet another project. BUt, i would gladly
help testing and debugging a SoftAC3out plugin if someone elsa would write
it.

[...]

> i think thats because of the uncertain legal status, technically there
> is no obstacle i can see.

it should be fairly easy either using liba52 or ffmpeg. the bitstreamout
plugin might be a good place to start, either a an addition to it or just to
take it appart and reuse most of it.

> a52dec uses 1-5% cpu on an 850Celeron, mplayer evev usese only 1-2% cpu,

the DVD plugin is already decoding the DVD's AC3 tracks, but only to dolby
surround, even 166MHz Pentiums work.

> so i wounder why people want to by AV3-Hardware decoders.

the do deliver even better quality

[...]

> but then i took the easy way (because of trouble in volumecontrol)

volume control is certainly going to be a major problem. i never figured out
which mixer controls what. alsa's emu10k can be a bit a headache there
(IMHO).

Andreas