[vdr] About the HTTP-problems with STREAMDEV-plugin

Hi,

for patching VDRADMIN to use it with streamdev-plugin, I've done a lot
of tests.

The main problem is that MPlayer needs up to 10 seconds to analyze the
stream (depending on the channel) and often fails to detect. There are
also some spikes in the picture and MPlayer suffers from sudden death.

So I tried a lot with different options for demuxer and A/V-libraries.

MPlayer has two MPEG-demuxer (1 for MPEG-ES and 2 for MPEG-PS, see
libmpdemux/demuxer.h). Demuxer 1 causes alterant a good line and a
distorted line, while demuxer 2 seems to "work".

But there are that detection-problems, jerking playback and sudden
deaths. Somewhen before the release candidates for MPlayer-0.90 came up,
playback was smoothly, even on Celeron500.

I also observed that jerky MPlayer-playback with recordings from VDR,
but with a complete file, there are no detection-problems and no sudden
death (might also be related to the vbv_delay problems discussed on the
list?).

It's also interesting that ffmpeg/libavcodec refused to handle the
MPEG-PES what caused MPlayer to switch to libmpeg2 and mp3lib for
decoding the MPEG-PES although I explicitely demanded ffmpeg on the
command-line.

Obviously the problem is not related - like we thought - to the
cReceiver-threads (which of course need to be fixed not to lock each
other at different buffer-state) but with the detection of the
A/V-stream, which causes MPlayer to stutter and break time-line, what of
course breaks the cReceiver-threads.

I think MPlayer-demuxer 2 was designed for MPEG-PS and it's only a
side-effect that MPEG-PES "works". Somewhen with the realease-candidates
the MPEG-PS demuxer 2 was "improved", what shrinked the side-effect for
MPEG-PES.

So we're at the old VDR-problem MPEG-PES being imcompatible to the rest
of the world.

So a question @Sascha Volkenandt comes up into my mind. Do you directly
get MPEG-PES from the cReceiver-thread and stream it or do you remux
with mplextools?

If yes, switching from PES to PS could solve all the problems we have
and every media-player could be used, as PS is the most supported
format.

Rene