[vdr] Re: VDR-format?

From: "Rene Bartsch" <ml@bartschnet.de>
> Wiljo Heinen schrieb:

[...]
> > But anyway - my choice for VDR recordings would probably be TS, because
that
> > format is
> > designed for these kind of streams (i.e. error recovery on the decoder
> > side). I don't know
> > how well players would cope with errors in the PS (although nowadays it
> > seems not
> > so much a problem as like two years ago).

[...]
> Ralph Metzler is working on a ts2ps-demuxer. I also mailed with Sascha
> Volkenandt about implementing MPEG-PS into streamdev-plugin. The best
> solution for VDR would be to take the cTS2PES-class, rename it to
> cTS2PS, add the necessary functions for the PS-headers and add it to
> VDR. So the cTS2PES-class could be used and plugins could try the
[...]

Yes, this can be done. But you will have to be careful to correct all
reception
errors on the fly, as PS is supposed to be run in an "error-free"
environment.
The invention of TS was not just "out of the blue sky".

I'd rather have a DVB receiver deal with TS and only at the moment of
transferring it to DVD have it converted to PS.

Take for example audio issues like appearing and disappearing audio streams.
Like when Pro7 switches off AC3 during commercials. Or when Premiere starts
a multi-audio transmission after a single audio programme.
These things are easily handled in TS, but in PS you will
have to finish the last PS recording and start a new one, as the system
header
contains info about the number of audio streams. (This is assuming that you
have your timers pre-roll and post-roll , as I usually have). It's all
manageable.

And in general it seems that PS decoders are not very resiliant against
changes of
audio/video formats.... even saw problems when ZDF switches from
stereo to mono Mpeg1Layer2.

Well ... we are beginning to touch philosophical grounds here.... My humble
opinion is
that in a DVB environment you better stick with TS and only when you
transfer the stuff to
an environment like DVD go for PS. That is: Use the format that is
appropiate
(and designed) for the medium you use.

As for players not being able to playback TS: That will change. On Windoze
just add a
TS demuxer DShow filter...

Anyway ... good night

    Wiljo