[vdr] Re: Hardware project: MPEG2 decoder with ethernet adapter

Hi,

> > It's out there. And it is called dbox2. :-)
>
> yeah, thats right, but how well does dbox2 and
> vdr work together? has somebody expirience with
> dox2/linux <-> vdr ?

Should be possible to stram to the dbox. There already is a plugin for
Neutrino that can display a stream but as far as I know, it only works sort
of reliably with certain dboxes. Some of the older models apperantly are not
fast enough.

The Plugin to display streams is still very beta, maybe it's just not
optimized enough. There already is a way to stream to a grabber while
watching the program so it's a little hard to understand why the other way
round won't work. But then again, I'm clueless about the inner workings of
that box :-)

Otherwise from my experience dbox linux is very stable and it seems perfectly
suitable for the task.

The dbox can even boot into various frontends, neutrino being the most
polished one. Maybe it's possible to drop neutrino and write a highly
optimized streamreceiver and all the fancy gui stuff is gone except a
lightweight gui to look through the recordings.

One could then start the special stream gui to watch recordings and neutrino
to watch tv. If there was an additional neutrino plugin as a frontend for
vdr, this should be a nice solution.

One other question. Is there someone here who has a lirc configuration file
for the sagem dbox2 remote? There is one coming with lirc but it doesn't work
for me and I fail to create one myself. The dbox2 remote is the single one
remote I can't get working :-|

Thanks,

Richard