[vdr] Excess CPU usage on playback

I have a setup with a Nova-T + DXR3 which typically consumes < 10% cpu when playing back live TV. When I play back a recording the CPU usage is typically 30-40%. I still get the same utilisation even if I am playing back an audio-only radio channel.

The hard disk is hardly being pushed to playback a single DVB stream, so I don't see why the CPU utilisation should be so much higher.

Does anyone else see the same increased CPU utilisation on playback? For reference my CPU is a 450MHz P3.

Is it just a DXR3 thing?

It seems to be the dvbplayer thread consuming all the cpu cycles, but I haven't managed to track exactly what the underlying cause is.

I am currently running with vdr-1.2.0pre1 and a patched dxr3-0.1.9, on RH9 with the "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL" workaround.

Thanks,
Jon