[vdr] Re: Annoying EMERGENCY EXITs

Gunnar Roth wrote:

>>Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>>
>>If it's just the "emergency exits" you want to get rid of, try what
>>I've posted earlier in this thread.
>>
>>Klaus
>>

>The problem is not the emrgency exit, but the continuos exits on bad
>weather ( heavy rain, lightning and thunder),
>that make watching recordings impossible. as some other person
mentioned, if watching a recording, vdr should not exit, >because of
getting no signal.

Well, my VDR box is still not running on daily base but I have a
nokia9500
mediamaster to compare the two.

I've tested VDR for a few hours after a few problems to install
it..mainly cause i'm new
to linux but the CDR software did loose the signal once in that session.

I use a channelmaster 1.2m dish and this unit never has signal failures
on the nokia9500 except with really heavy rainfall .. you know, rain
that floods the area within a few minutes.
If a stream interruption occurs..then the DVB box just displays a 'lost
connection' icon but will try to
establisch the stream again.

It would be nice if VDR act's also like this without the need to
restart.

A note on lightning:

Disconnect the LNB as soon when there's a lighning in the area.
We had a close one about 3 months ago which destroyed our small internal
network.
Power switched off automaticly so all other devices did survive.

The LNB (and receiver) did survive it but only cause they where
disconnected.
It was so close that we could hear the discharge as a very loud , You
can compare it with the slash of a whip.
Also, ground your dish properly.