[vdr] Re: Annoying EMERGENCY EXITs

Gunnar Roth wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>

> >If it's just the "emergency exits" you want to get rid of, try what I've
> >posted earlier in this thread.
> >
> >Klaus
> >

> The problem is not the emrgency exit, but the continuos exits on bad
> weather ( heavy rain, lightning and thunder),
> that make watching recordings impossible. as some other person mentioned,
> if watching a recording, vdr should not exit, because of getting no signal.

I tested the following now: I started replaying and disconnected the antenna
cable from my primary device. Replay continued undisturbed (as I would have expected)
without any emergency exit. I even stopped and restarted replay several times - no
problems at all. Then I disconnected the antenna cable from my other card as well,
to have the EPG scanner no longer be able to tune to different transponders.
No problem with the replay here, either. The only thing that happens in such cases
is that the CPU usage of the kdvb-fe-N:0 threads rises to some 25% on my machine.
But I guess that's normal, since the driver is trying to tune in to the transponder
again.

After stopping replay and reconnecting the sat cable the previously tuned
channel didn't come back automatically, and when trying to explicitly switch
to it I got lots of

Jun 14 12:00:22 video kernel: OutCommand: timeout waiting for COMMAND idle
Jun 14 12:00:22 video kernel: SOutCommand error
Jun 14 12:00:22 video kernel: outcom error

But I guess that's another driver problem. Maybe one of the driver developers
could do some tests regarding the driver's behaviour in case of signal loss.
If these tests turn out to indicate that VDR should do something different when tuning,
please let me know.

So, the bottom line is: as long as there is no recording going on, VDR does not
do an "emergency exit" when the antenna signal fails. Replaying is possible during
that time.

At least that's what I'm observing here with VDR 1.2.1.

Klaus