[vdr] Re: What to do with a new big hard disk?

Hi Guy,

Guy Roussin schrieb:
Hi,

I use vdr with one disc using a partition /video which contains the vdr recordings as well as some other files. (dvd, audio, photo).
bad idea, since scanning the vdr recording folder
(only the first) is done using the commandline tool
"find", which is quite slow.
so if you put non vdr data into /video0 your
scanntime may increase to more time, than the watchdog
option (-w) waits for a response of the thread(which is
blocked by the external find command).
and empty directories may/will get deleted, even when they
aren't vdr folders.

I have just bought a new hard disk which I wish to use like second vdr partition. How do I have to configure it? must i re-elect /video
as /video0 and name the new one /video1 ?

yes, thats the way to go.

But I saw in the documentation (INSTALL) of vdr : " Note that you should not copy any non-VDR files into the /videoX directories, since this might cause the watchdog timer to expire when VDR cleans up those directories and there is a large number of files and/or subdirectories in
there. "
see above, move your non vdr data to the new disk, vdr only
scans the /video0, so putting them on /video1 is fine.

I am not likely to lose non-vdr data of my /video partition
if I proceed thus?
no, vdr only deletes empty directories and his own recording
folders, so don't put any non vdr data into vdr's sub folders.
(the base video dir is allways save [/video0 /video1 ...])

Thanks.
hope this helps

Regards Onno

P.S.
you _can't_ use fat(dos/windows) as filesystem for this,
since fat (vfat) does not allow soft links across two
partitions, you must use ext2/3 on both disks.