[vdr] GUI: mix of still pics and OSD?

Hello all,

I understand that the whole SDRAM-extension on DVB board discussion is about
having bigger OSD memory to get nice graphical user interface (GUI) on DVB
output. Exciting :)
But what I don't get is why is there anything that prevents to base the future
new VDR GUI on a mix from "still pictures" and OSD.
We could have a complete "background still-picture" generated on-the-fly using
a library like ImageMagick. This will allow to create a fullscreen mpeg picture
from various graphical elements (pictures, text, lines, ...).
Then, all "dynamic elements", like cursors, arrows, selection box, basically
everything that is controlled by remote could be managed by the OSD at a
relatively low DVB-SDRAM cost.
Ok, you will not get a background live-video but is this really a problem?
I guess that there is a limitation in the still_picture DVB API call that
limits the usage (there are few lines in the README of the MP3 plugin
explaining that displaying still pictures is not as easy as it sounds). Stefan,
what is your experience with this?