[vdr] Re: problems with a nova-s

Hermann Gausterer wrote:

i bought a new nova-s card additional to my dvb-s 1.3
but vdr does not work with it ..

/var/log/messages:

Jun 25 16:57:02 mrqserv2 kernel: DVB: registering new adapter
(Siemens/Technotrend/Hauppauge PCI rev1.3).
Jun 25 16:57:02 mrqserv2 kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (Alps
BSRV2)...
Jun 25 16:57:03 mrqserv2 kernel: DVB: registering new adapter
(TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-CI PCI).
Jun 25 16:57:05 mrqserv2 kernel: stv0299.c: setup for tuner SU1278/SH
Jun 25 16:57:05 mrqserv2 kernel: DVB: registering frontend 1:0
(STV0299/TSA5059/SL1935 based)...

vdr -D 0 works as expected, but without "-D" the card comes
to use and as soon as VDR trys to record with the nova
it restarts .. this as an result that no data is received on the
second card. vdr.001 stay at zero size

Hello everybody.

I have the same 2 DVB-cards as Hermann Gausterer and additionally an analog Mediafocus from Technisat.
For a long time I had the same problems that he has , but never could find a solution on the mailing list.

So I took all my modest abilities and searched for the reason of the problem and for a solution.

Here is, what I found out:

The problem only occurs, after the machine was powered off for some time.
When the drivers is loaded, and I do a make rmmod in the DVB driver directory there happens an error:

lsmod shows the following after driver is loaded:

dvb-ttpci 301728 4
evdev 4224 0 (unused)
input 3584 0 [dvb-ttpci evdev]
ves1820 4080 0
stv0299 6752 0 (unused)
grundig_29504-491 3488 0
grundig_29504-401 3888 0
alps_tdlb7 3952 0
alps_tdmb7 3600 0
alps_bsrv2 3856 1
dvb-core 38288 27 [dvb-ttpci ves1820 stv0299 grundig_29504-491 grundig_29504-401 alps_tdlb7 alps_tdmb7 alps_bsrv2]

Then I do a "make rmmod":
/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/build/scripts/pathdown.sh: TOPDIR: parameter null or not set
sync
( \
make -C av7110 rmmod; \
make -C frontends rmmod; \
rmmod dvb-core; \
\
)
make[1]: Wechsel in das Verzeichnis Verzeichnis »/TV/linux-dvb.2003-06-08/driver/av7110«
rmmod dvb-ttpci; \
rmmod evdev; \
rmmod input;
dvb-ttpci: Device or resource busy
input: Device or resource busy
make[1]: *** [rmmod] Fehler 1

After that lsmod shows the following:

dvb-ttpci 301728 0
input 3584 0 [dvb-ttpci]
alps_bsrv2 3856 1
dvb-core 38288 6 [dvb-ttpci alps_bsrv2]

Doing a second "make rmmod" removes these modules.

After that I do a "make insmod" and then the problem is solved (in my case)
I tried this now for a few times, and it allways worked for me.

I don't know the reason of the "make rmmod"-error, but in my case it seems to be the origin of the NOVA-problem.
I don't think it has to do something with the Mediafocus card.
So I'm optimistic that this can solve the problems of the other NOVA-users too.

Maybe this helps to perform the DVB driver, so that there will be a more elegant solution.

best regards
Martin

P.S. VDR is great!!! Thanks a lot to Klaus and all the other developers!