[vdr] Re: Recomendations for DVB card

Andrey Vlassov wrote:
WinTV Nexus                             222euro
WinDVB-S 1.3 LNB-in              190euro
WinDVB-S 1.3 LNB-in/out        325euro (can be chained to other device)
WinDVB-S 1.3 and Skystar2     205euro  (value-pack)
WinDVB-S 1.3                             325euro (twin pack)
WinDVB-S 1.3                             175euro
WinDVB-S 1.6 LNB-in               175euro
WinDVB-S 1.6 + CI                    219euro  (CI common interface)
WinDVB-S 1.6                             325euro (twin pack)
These are all full-featured cards.

WinDVB-S Budget2 (Nova)        69euro
WinDVB-S Budget2 + CI             99euro
WinDVB-S Xact                           89euro
Skystar2 Rev. 2.68                        65euro
Skystar2 Rev. 2.3                          65euro (remote)
Skystar2 Rev. 2.3                          49euro
These cards don't have a mpeg-decoder-chip on board!

All the "cheap cards" don't have an onboard mpeg-decoder. If you want to use VDR you should take one of the more expansive cards OR look if you can buy a DXR3/HollywoodPlus Mpeg-Decoder-Card. (there is a great plugin for DXR3 that makes a budget Card behave like a full-featured one...)

Usually, the DXR3 + cheap card is still about half the price of a full-featured card.

Well, I am happy with a WinTV-Nova + DXR3 (together 50 Euros)
Don't buy the Xact, there are no drivers for Linux.
I wouldn't recommend the Skystar2, 'cause there is No good driver support. Just about 2 weeks ago a driver showed up...maybe in 2 Month I can recommend even the Skystar2 ;)

A lot of people have 2 Cards in there system, so they can watch TV on one card and record something else with the other. The "recording only" card can be a budget Card.

Name        My understanding
DVB-S  -- satellite model (Ku band -- require small dish)
No, it is just a satellite model. Not more not less. Has nothing to do with band (it can work with Ku and C and circular)

DVB-C -- satellite model  (C band -- require big dish)
This is a Cable-receiver. No Sat!

DVB-T -- terrestial model (require cable/antenna with digital signal)
Right :)

Frank