[vdr] Re: Recomendations for DVB card

Hi again :)

Andrey Vlassov wrote:
Thanks Frank,
well I have DXR3 in my computer and it works not bad (I use screen overlay at the moment)
So no need for an expensive card :)

Well it is a biggest issue for me here in North America. This is why I put into my first message that I would like to talk with somebody from North America. I now that here available "Free to Air" standalong receivers and I guess that I should be able to receive a programs from there. Some channels from Europe, China, Turkey and other parts of the world. But I know that local sattelite TV is mostly crypted and as I understood the cryption is not the same as in Europe. But I still keep some hope as I've seen that some company in Canada was trading WinTV Nexus and want believe that it still work for Canada.
I can not understand -- VDR is so popular in Europe but in North America I found almost nothing related to this project. I found that most people use standalone receives with illigal cards to decipher DVB stream. I think that there is some hided obstacle which I do not know yet. And only way to check I know is to try it. And this is why I am conserned about price of the project. But if it works I will be greatly revarded for my time and I am sure thousands of other people across North America will appreciate it as well.
It would have been better, to have this discussion still on the mailinglist.
So I hope you don't mind that I post it there at well...

I just don't know enough about the standards in US.
But if I remember correctly it was different to what we have here in Europe.
I think, that you can't get the streams of some of your major networks, 'cause they use something else than Mpeg2 streams.

Frank

P.S. On the ML you are not allowed to discuss illegal reception. But that is not the case here...