[vdr] Re: Recomendations for DVB card

Frank,

well I am also UNIX administrator (Solaris primary UNIX) since 1994. I got familar with Linux in 1994 almost same time as with Solaris. Well I agree that Linux not that easy with software installation (also not completely true -- did you try Debian?) but it works just fine without crashes for years (well sometimes I have to restart it because of kernel update or kernel+nvidia driver. I am not talking about automatic installation and update of LinusAnd Linux is free as source code and if you willing you can do with it anything your soul will like. Only I see that Linux lacking video edition software (MainActor, Broadcast2000, and few other very basic packages) and it is only reason why I run windows at home. But there is wine and winex around and latest reports said that it runs just fine Photoshop7, MS Office 2000 (evil software which pumps out money from our pockets), Quicken 2002, MS Visio 2000, and many other packages. I will try it in nearest feature but probably I still have to keep window around for a while (only if I will start my own project for video editing software -- it could be good have a sponsor to pay my bills in this case -- to eliminate Windows one and forever on my computers). Unfortunately as one person I can do not that much but I will try find contracts and envolve people from Russia (I am Russian) as labour is much cheaper there and we have some very good programmers. Well I would love to pay our Russian programmers a good money but at this stage I do not have these money and do not have contracts yet -- and what is most important I do not found these people yet but I am getting close to this stage. As only I will move to my own living place (we just bought apartaments) the life will roll another way. Linux getting it's strength in Russian in many areas -- even in satellite TV area.

Well if you interested you could visit my websites

http://www.andromedasystems.net/ (my company website)
http://linux.andromedasystems.net/ (my linux universe)
https://dbs.andromedasystems.net/ (satellite TV)
http://taesse.andromedasystems.net/ (my old website)
http://russian.andromedasystems.net/ (website for russian community in Vancouver)
http://photos.andromedasystems.net/ (our small family photoalbum)

Forums
https://forums.andromedasystems.net/dbs/ (satellite TV)
https://forums.andromedasystems.net/linux/ (linux)
https://forums.andromedasystems.net/immigration/ (immigration to Canada -- Russian)
https://forums.andromedasystems.net/business/ (business in Vancouver -- Russian)
https://forums.andromedasystems.net/webdesign/ (webdesign)

Most websites do not hold much information yet (well I started my company in August last year and learn as I go) as English is most difficult part of my life (native laguage is Russian) and I want that everything looked in professional style. Just guess how many people work on all this stuff -- your right it is only me -- so I experience lack of time to do everything (I forgot to say that photo/video/video encoding is one of my many hobbies). Hope that people will come one day and everything will get new life there. But for now I gather piece by piece usefull information so that people could come and find what they look for. Hope that somebody will find it usefull. I need a people who could help me -- at least with my English in very begining and latter I need help with leagal side of the business (never ever had do it before and have no clue about layer job to protect linux projects).

Well I also CC this message to mailing list as it could be interesting to some people and somebody could get interest in my projects. Who knows where will we drive through on this road -- may be something good will happen to all of us one day -- no need worry about job security any more ;-) as it is our secure business.

PS: sorry I know that my English still not perfect but I work on it

Thanks again for all your help, and wish you all the best

Andrey
---
UNIX Administrator @ UBC (University of British Columbia -- Canada)

Frank Scherthan wrote:

Andrey Vlassov wrote:

Frank,

and last and easiest question -- "Was it too difficult to make VDR works for you and do you satisfied with result?"
I am still answering the other post, but a quick replay until I am finshed:
NO, but I am a Unix-Administrator. I use Linux since 1996 (and that was a pain in the ass at that times ;) )
Well, it is not like in Windows: download .exe, install it and it runs...(until the next bluescreen..)

Under linux you need a good distro...that can make it little bit easier, and there is a big community that is always willing to help :)

I love this part -- and there is a big community that is always willing to help :)

Frank