[vdr] Re: AW: Re: OT: reset DVD drive "LG D8120B" region code, how?

Andre Neumann wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> I think the Problem is that your "hacked" new firmware doenst
> support/plays back RCE Protected DVDs. Normally DVDs start asking the
> DVD-ROM Drive, that this is a RC-1 DVD and which RC is the DVD-ROM
> drive. Normally the DVD-ROM (with a "hacked" firware) drive says: ok,
> you are a RC-1 DVD, im a RC-1 DVD-ROM drive :) So the DVD can be played.
>
> RCE-DVDs are doing something special: They are doing the same thing
> which normal DVD-ROM drives are doing, but twice. If the DVD-ROM drive
> says: Ok, i'm a RC1-DVD-ROM drive, the DVD asks again, but this time if
> the DVD-ROM-drive is a RC-3 DVD-ROM drive (for example). If the DVD-ROM
> drive says it is a RC-3 drive the DVD wont be played, because the DVD
> now knows that the drive can be every RC. That is the RCE Protection.
>
> So i think, you have to get a better "hacked" firmware with RCE Support.
> But i dont know where you can get one, sorry.

Thanks for this explanation.

What I don't quite understand is: how can the _DVD_ ask the drive anything?
IMHO only the software (libdvdnav?) that reads data from the DVD can interpret
that data as code to be executed in some way, and eventually "ask" the drive
about any RC codes. Shouldn't it therefore be possible to "fix" the software
running on "our" side? Or does the firmware itself directly interact with
the DVD's contents?

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question - I haven't done much with DVDs
so far...

Klaus