[vdr] Re: AW: Re: OT: reset DVD drive "LG D8120B" region code, how?

Am Sonntag, 20. Juli 2003 17:15 schrieben Sie:

> > So i think, you have to get a better "hacked" firmware with RCE Support.
> > But i dont know where you can get one, sorry.
>
> Thanks for this explanation.
>
> What I don't quite understand is: how can the _DVD_ ask the drive anything?
> IMHO only the software (libdvdnav?) that reads data from the DVD can
> interpret that data as code to be executed in some way, and eventually
> "ask" the drive about any RC codes. Shouldn't it therefore be possible to
> "fix" the software running on "our" side? Or does the firmware itself
> directly interact with the DVD's contents?
>
> Please forgive me if this is a stupid question - I haven't done much with
> DVDs so far...

AFAIK the RC Request are triggered by software. I have not understood how all
this is going on, but I think mplayer should be able to play all CDs w/o
trigger the RC Requests. So there seems obiously to be a way to read all
DVDs. The same goes for DVD-genie. That is a win-soft where you can set all
possible region codes, so you can play any dvd on any drive without flashing
the firmware.

HTH

Steffen