[vdr] Re: Amount of cards???

Dylan D'silva schrieb:
Hello all im very interested in building a vdr box, My plan was to use a
Nova-T without mpeg decoding card and a dxr3 card with plugin .
My question is how many card would i need in theory, to be able to record a
show while watching another, And be able to use timeshift features etc ??

I noticed it says in some of the new features that
  a.. Instant Time Shift
  b.. Additional remote control keys
  c.. Macros can be assigned to remote control keys
  d.. Multiple recordings on the same device
  e.. Simultaneous recording and replay on the primary device

  Any help would be great.

A card can receive a complete transport stream which contains several tv-/radio-channels. A TS is transmitted either by a transponder (DVB-S) or a UHF/VHF-channel (DVB-C/T). So you can receive all tv-/radio-channels in a TS at the same time.

You don't need a card for each tv-/radio-channel, but for each transport stream. If e.g. you want to receive 5 tv-channels on the same same TS you need only one card. If each channel is on another TS, you need 5 cards.

As DVB-card and DXR3 are two separated devices, they run in transfer-mode. So timeshift is possible, of course.

Rene