[vdr] Re: DS.JAR development stopped, but source code now available (GPL)

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> > There is one thing I don´t understand: The biggest advantage of DS.JAR
> > is IMHO that you can cut theoretically without dropping audio frames at
> > cut points. But if you cut with VDR (and not with DS.JAR), DS.JAR has to
> > fill missing audio frames. When the new cut algorithm in VDR was
> > discussed, people told on this list that no audio frames are being
> > deleted but just marked as not valid. So why then DS.JAR has to fill
> > frames? Does it ignore the marked frames?
>
> Simply because the muxed stream from VDR is _not_ in sync, that
> means that the audio and AC3 frames within a GOP do _not_ not
> belong to the video frames.  This offset is clearly visible if you
> use xlist or similar tools to compare the PTS times of each frame.
> Beside the B-frames (which belongs to frames _before_ current
> picture time).

I thought, that it was possible to store the audio frames with a special
flag in a cut vdr file. Nevertheless, if you want cuts without audio drops,
there are two possibilities in DS.JAR: The first one is the most complicated one:
Using the cut feature. On some machines (like mine) the preview window does
not work. Additionally, as you don´t hear audio, it is not always the best
solution for cutting. However, if you were able to convert the VDR marks into
the appropriate GOP values, this would be a very good solution. The second
idea: Cutting the file with VDR and sync the audio of the uncut (!!!) VDR file
with the cut VDR file - the way you would do it on Windows...
There, you go like this: Record a PVA file and an additional RAW-AC3 stream
(=AC3 with PTS). Then cut the PVA file with a tool like PVACut, maintaining
the PTS. Then, if you load the cut PVA file and the RAW-AC3 in one collection
in DS.JAR, this tool adjusts and cuts the AC3 sound according to the cuts
detected in the PVA file with the help of the PTS.
I think, the second way also could work with VDR files, but I don´t know how
to extract the streams with PTS code. I believe that I also tried to load
the uncut and the cut VDR file in one collection and that this did not work.
Any other ideas or solutions to convert the marks.vdr into values useable in
DS.JAR?

Jörg