[vdr] Re: DS.JAR development stopped, but source code now available (GPL)

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:04:02AM +0200, Jörg Knitter wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 07, 2003, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> >
> > Simply because the muxed stream from VDR is _not_ in sync, that
> > means that the audio and AC3 frames within a GOP do _not_ not
> > belong to the video frames.  This offset is clearly visible if you
> > use xlist or similar tools to compare the PTS times of each frame.
> > Beside the B-frames (which belongs to frames _before_ current
> > picture time).
>
> I thought, that it was possible to store the audio frames with a special
> flag in a cut vdr file. Nevertheless, if you want cuts without audio drops,
> there are two possibilities in DS.JAR: The first one is the most complicated one:
> Using the cut feature. On some machines (like mine) the preview window does
> not work. Additionally, as you don´t hear audio, it is not always the best
> solution for cutting. However, if you were able to convert the VDR marks into
> the appropriate GOP values, this would be a very good solution. The second
> idea: Cutting the file with VDR and sync the audio of the uncut (!!!) VDR file
> with the cut VDR file - the way you would do it on Windows...
> There, you go like this: Record a PVA file and an additional RAW-AC3 stream
> (=AC3 with PTS). Then cut the PVA file with a tool like PVACut, maintaining
> the PTS. Then, if you load the cut PVA file and the RAW-AC3 in one collection
> in DS.JAR, this tool adjusts and cuts the AC3 sound according to the cuts
> detected in the PVA file with the help of the PTS.
> I think, the second way also could work with VDR files, but I don´t know how
> to extract the streams with PTS code. I believe that I also tried to load
> the uncut and the cut VDR file in one collection and that this did not work.

That means I've to buy and install MS Windows or does this work with
wine (and without any original MS Windows DLLs)?

> Any other ideas or solutions to convert the marks.vdr into values useable in
> DS.JAR?

IMHO this is possible with a reworked VDR cutter.  This would require
a PTS based cutting engine with temporary buffering of audio/AC3
frames (buffer or file or just offset pointer within the original file).

Maybe with the help of libmpeg3 or libmpeg2 it is possible to drop even
the GOP limit by partly generating full video frames around the cut marks.

After choosing the appropiate full video frames it should possible to
generate the new GOPs as replacment for the GOPs around the cut marks.
Within these new GOPs the audio/AC3 frames should be placed accordingly
the PTS offset between video and audio/AC3 frames.

      Werner