[vdr] Re: VIA enhanced Xine Player and VDR any actions planed?

Fabian Kronner wrote:

> This does not really make a lot of sense to me. You are confusing the
> encoding and the decoding process. This is a thinko.
>
> 1. There is no MPEG2 encoder onboard, but a decoder.
>                      ^^                     ^^
> 2. There is no need for encoding DivX either way, it needs decoding.
>                         ^^                                 ^^
>
> Ergo: Taking advantage of the onboard MPEG2 decoder merely eliminates
> the need for a DXR3/Premium card, but does not reduce CPU load for
> non-MPEG1/2 playback.

thats also a thinko

the mpeg2 decoder is a additional option for the vga/tv-out, means divx
only has to be decoded and pushed into the framebuffer (or what else,
i´m not a coder), nearly same goes for mpeg2 only that it goes to the
mpeg2 decoder and after that to the framebuffer

> I believe that a 600MHz C3 is not powerful enough to decode _all_ DivX
> content, even if there was a hardware MPEG2 encoder.

decoder? :-)