[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 03:22:42PM +0200, Guido Fiala wrote:
> On Sunday, 24. August 2003 15:14, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:12:18AM -0400, Jeremy Hall wrote:
> > > so how do I convert my 300gb /video from ext3 to xfs? (assuming that is
> > > what I wanted to do)
> >
> > Backup, format, restore.
>
> Phew! that can take. Better borrow another hard disk...

That's the normal and safest way of doing this.

There exists a filesystem converter, but a few people reported they lost
everything.

You want to convert to another filesystem because it's better/safer, so
you should also do it in a safe way, otherwise you don't have a reason
to change the filesystem in the first place.
(You value your data: Change it safely
You don't value your data: What's the point?)

Btw. I use VDR for nearly 3 years now, and i never lost anything due to
filesystem problems and i use ext2. With only 3/4 power outages in 3
years i don't have any pressure to change the filesystem.

Bis denn