[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@citd.de> wrote:

> Btw. I use VDR for nearly 3 years now, and i never lost anything due
> to filesystem problems and i use ext2. With only 3/4 power outages in
> 3 years i don't have any pressure to change the filesystem.

that's exactly the point. people tend to think journaling filesystems
save them from data loss on power failure. but that is an ongoing
misunderstanding. they just save you from the timeconsuming fsck,
nothing else. keep that in mind, when making your decision for one or
the other filesystem. on the long run, only the combintion of RAID, UPS
and BACKUP lets me sleep peacfuly. ;-)

best regards ...
clemens