[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clemens Kirchgatterer" <clemens@thf.ath.cx>

> that's exactly the point. people tend to think journaling filesystems
> save them from data loss on power failure. but that is an ongoing
> misunderstanding. they just save you from the timeconsuming fsck,
> nothing else.

Hmm, ext3 IS a journaling filesystem, right?

So why does my standard SUSE 8.1 do a timeconsuming filesystem check on
every N'th mount of the ext3 partition? (I think N is something around 30,
and the check takes more than 5 minutes for my 120GB disk - a long time when
you have started the box because you wanted to watch tv... ;-)

Is it misconfigured or 'by design' ?
Any idea how to stop this?

Regards,
Christian